Monday, April 25, 2011

Hello

Recent discussion with theists and other atheists as well has motivated me to start investing in a personal blog. Certainly facebook, forums, and our beloved YouTube serve as great mediums for discussion, but the organization of blogs makes more in depth discussions much more easy to execute (in my opinion).

A little bit about me: I am a 19 year old college student majoring in Computer Science (network administration and programming). I am an armchair aviation buff who enjoys reading on flight dynamics, flight systems, and of course, am a big time flight simulator aficionado. I enjoy discussions relating to science, religion, philosophy, and what constitutes proper whiskey.

So why call myself "The Newer Atheist"? It's because I find that New Atheism has lost its appeal. I feel that it's more of a trend than it is a valid position within itself. Certainly our loyal horsemen (Dawkins, Dennett, Harris, and Hitchens), have come up with some good material, but cannot see how books like The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins should be a shining example of modern day atheistic thought. It bothers me that a lot of atheists just go out, read these books, and take it at face value. So see "The Newer Atheist" as a pejorative if you will. These are my thoughts. They might not be original, scholarly, or ground breaking, but this is of course an internet blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment